Thursday, August 18, 2022

My first order - a simple (?) flower table

In order to play around with some design I asked I close relative if there was any kind of small furniture that she needed. So my first piece of furniture will be a small flower pot table.

I've added a few details to practice on to keep things interesting. The final table might not be as fancy as the design.

The first sketch looks like this.


The dimensions are not set so I'm just working on the main features of the table. Since I will most likely fail a lot, I decided to use inexpensive pine for this project.

The table top

The edge will be composed of six pieces with a mitered edges in a hexagon shape. The inside of that will be small strips of pine either exposing the end wood or long strips of wood, haven't decided yet. There will be a hole in the middle for the legs to attach to the table top. Depending on how rigid it get I might need some support on to bottom of the table top as well. 

The end wood of the legs will be visible through the top.

The ridge

Roughly designed, but I thought it would be something like this. The idea is to have it as one solid piece, but depending on available material, it might be mitered as well. I don't really like small pieces being mitered though. It will attach to the table top by an invisible joint somehow.

The lower table

This piece will be more subtle than the top since it's smaller. It will also need to hold the legs that need to be split inside this piece since they are wider on each side. But it will create an illusion of a continues flow. Again, supports might need to be added below, who knows?



And finally, the legs

Composed of two parts per leg and also joined at the top. The legs will be as mentioned earlier, split inside the smaller table to allow them to be mounted.



Next step

It's an ambitious project for a newbie, I do know that. But the point is to try, not to succeed. There is also no time plan for this since I might need additional tools that I can't afford at the moment. But I'll try my best. The workshop needs to be in a better shape anyhow before starting.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Engraving a duck with a CNC 3018

Several years ago, while doing a lot of electronics, I purchased a small CNC machine from Alibaba to engrave PCBs. Never got the process to ...